When you've finished here, check out the free audios and resources on www.padraigomorain.com

Wednesday 19 October 2011

Mindfulness Journal: Broadening the field of experience

When my day was visited by various challenges - a non-functioning gas fire, an unexpected traffic jam and an unscheduled school run, I found it helpful to see these events as part of a whole field of experience. The field also included sunshine lighting up trees along the canal, cups of tea, pleasant exchanges by email and other realities. I didn't deny the existence of the unpleasant realities - I couldn't - but pulling the camera back, so to speak, to see these as part of a wider view was helpful, prevented obsessing and allowed me to see what was positive in my field of experience. Once or twice I even found it helpful to imagine the unpleasant things as happening far away on tiny black and white TV screens scattered around the field!