When you've finished here, check out the free audios and resources on www.padraigomorain.com

Friday 18 April 2014

What is acceptance in mindfulness? The story of a stolen watch

Acceptance is one of the most difficult concepts in mindfulness practice. It doesn't mean agreement and it doesn't mean dismissing the impact of hurtful events that happen to us. What does it mean? Here are some possibilities but first a true event: 
Many years ago somebody stole a watch from me. I really liked the watch and the person who gave it to me had gone to a lot of trouble to buy it and get it engraved. Then the watch was taken. Another person was able to confirm my suspicions as to who the guilty party was but the guilty party had moved on and so had the possibility of getting the watch back. 
What has acceptance got to do with the watch? Well, the loss of the watch still hurts - though only when I think of it - and if I could get it back I would. On the other hand the loss of the watch doesn't interfere in any way with my life. So here are some thoughts on acceptance:

1. Acceptance is awareness without interference. We interfere with our awareness largely through self-talk and, to a lesser extent, talking to other people. When I remember the watch I feel a little dart of loss - but I don't interfere with the feeling by talking to myself or anyone else about the watch, and the dart of loss goes as quickly as it arrives.

2. Acceptance means not deliberately re-running an experience in a loop in the mind. So I choose not to repeat to myself the story of the watch, the loss, and the judgments about the theft (what a rotten thing to do, etc). Instead I acknowledge and feel the loss and then move forward. Which brings me to:

3. Acceptance is a way of relating to our experience that enables us to move forward with today and tomorrow. I could relate to the theft of the watch by dwelling in the story and the feelings surrounding the story. Instead I allow myself to feel the feeling and then move on to the next thing I need to do.

Acceptance has many other facets and I will amend this article as time goes by so as to arrive at a comprehensive attempt at an explanation.